my poem

by October Girl

turn me inside out I'v been there
a life that no one wants
I can't wait till this feeling goes away
the pain and stress
don't call me crazy
you have been there too

we are not allowed to run
or scream
this world is crule
we have no voice
not all questions are answered
we have nothing

but we do at least
have something
each other

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:40 am
Crysi wrote a review...

Okay, so, spell check is your friend, and it's even a free added option when you go to post. Just a first thought.

Second thought: Why should I, as the reader, care? Yes, I've had crazy days, and the world is stressful and all that... But I don't need a poem to tell me that. Your poem doesn't accurately express the feeling, so it leaves the reader wanting more out of it. Poets should be able to take everyday emotions and transform them into words that reach past the reader's eyes and twist their souls into recognition. This just sounded like a livejournal rant to me.

Work on being unique.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:31 am
Snoink wrote a review...

I would probably scrap the first stanza, mostly because it talks too much about "I" and not enough about the subject matter. So the poem officially starts at the second stanza.

we are not allowed to run
or scream
this world is crule

Besides the spelling error ("crule" should be "cruel") I think this is the strongest part of the poem.

we have no voice
not all questions are answered
we have nothing

Expand on this a bit more. This is a little blunt, too blunt and yet too vague to be poetic. So ask yourself, who has no voice? What questions are being asked and unanswered? And what sort of nothing do you have?

but we do at least
have something
each other

You have just contradicted yourself. It's either nothing or something, no in betweens. Expand on this too. Who is we? And I would probably write it as:

But at least we have
Each other

Or SOMETHING like that.

Anyway, hope that helps! :D

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 am
Kitkat_1122_ wrote a review...

I would sudgest that you add a pattern or rhyming scheme, that way it would seem less random, which to me it seemed just like you could read it as you would a story...if that makes any sense.

Another thing that I noticed is that you kind of contradicted yourself when you said

"we are not allowed to run
or scream
this world is crule
we have no voice
not all questions are answered
we have nothing"

and then you go on to say:

"but we do at least
have something

each other"

I liked the first stanza when you said "Don't call me crazy you have been there too." It makes me as a reader want to read it more when you seem like you are speaking to me.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:52 am
Emerson wrote a review...

You might want to check out this article: Poetry & Punctuation.

Another thing, its common to capitalize the first letter of the first word in each new line.

The poem itself self isn't too bad, but I think once you punctuate it I would understand it more. I don't think the topic is very new though, There are a lot of these kinds of poems around.

I'm guessing you are new to poetry? I suggest that, if you are new, you read as much poetry as you can. Look around here, there are some good poets here too. Anyway, read all the poetry you can find, it'll help you. Look at how they create patterns, and structures, how they rhyme or if they don't rhyme at all.

If you have any questions, you can pm me.

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon